Saturday, June 11, 2011

Late Spring 2011

Two days after we got back from Hawaii, I went to the PWOC (Protestant Women of the Chapel) retreat in Cascade, Idaho. I had very little to do with running the retreat this time (except for booking the place). Most of the work was done by gals in their 20’s. I was very proud of them. We all had a fabulous time and we achieved our goal (getting to know each other better). I’m excited to see these gals grow in their faith with a passion to serve GOD wholeheartedly.

retreatall

Shortly after this, our gals threw a baby shower for Birthright in Boise.  We filled several large vehicles full of gifts for young moms and their babies. The Birthright director was thrilled! The very next week we had our end of year program, a tea party.  That was my last official day as president of this group. We don’t have a new president. Please pray for this need.

249411_10150134606894159_590159158_5736438_3919573_n

Here I am with Madeline Carollo. Her daddy is a chaplain here in Mt. Home.

We found out around this time that Ed’s dear Aunt Trudy had passed away. Her only child, Dan, who was my age had passed away in 1990 of malaria. We all loved Aunt Trudy. She loved Jesus and that was very clear by testimonies of her people shared at her memorial service. That was the second memorial service we went to that day. Our neighbor from Cleveland Rapids Road in Roseburg (Helen Lehne) also had passed away. She also loved Jesus. It was great to hear how she impacted the lives of so many.

We got to spend time with family while in Roseburg, especially Greg.  It was so nice to be with him. Below is a picture of him with his two grandmothers at Aunt Trudy’s service.

greggmas

The evening we got back from Roseburg, we had four guys over at our house hanging out and chatting for awhile. I was so tired! But I was also honored that these guys would want to hang out with us. Ed has been spending lots of quality time with these and other guys. Here is a photo they sent to facebook by phone from one of those times.

daguys

Velocity (the young adult ministry on base) is now participating in the intramural softball league on base. This past week was their first game. Here they are praying before the game.

softball

 Also last week, the base chapel put on their Vacation Bible School.  We did Group’s Pandemania. I usually help out with registration but a few months ago I didn’t feel led to do that. I opted to help Chelsea with the opening and closing ceremonies. I wanted to get to know Chelsea better. It worked out because I ended up having to have surgery the Friday before. I couldn’t have physically handled any other task. The kids (many of them unchurched) LOVED this VBS.

vbs1

We had many obstacles to deal with including the loss of half of the chapel parking lot and all of the adjoining parking lot due to security changes and construction projects. On Wednesday, we had a base exercise which put the chapel into lockdown. The outdoor games had to come indoors …. in the hallway.  When they let our kids and families leave, we saw airmen dressed up in their gas masks and weapons on the street. The kids didn’t seem to notice since they are all used to that stuff.  One of our little ones pointed to one of the airmen and said “Daddy!”.  I so appreciate our military and what they and their families sacrifice.

No comments: